Your domain name is an integral part of your ebusiness and plays crucial role in your marketing campaigns. It is through this name that your potential customers will remember you and the product you promote. That is why; it is very important that you give your website a name that is easy to remember so you can easily generate traffic and increase your sales potential.
1. Short vs. long. Typically, short website names promote easy recall. However, if your products and business are well-known in your industry, you can use them on your domain name regardless of how many characters they may require.
2. Insert relevant keywords. If you are selling iPods, you better include iPod on your domain name to make it search-engine friendly. Then, you can add adjectives which can best describe your products or your services.
3. Pick the best language. If you are targeting people who do not use English as their primary language, you can create a domain name using their local dialect. This will make your website name more appealing and targeted to your potential clients.
4. Never use trademarked names. This can result to online disputes or worst, legal actions. Check the words that you would like to use first and verify if they are already taken to avoid such dilemma.
5. Special characters: to use or not to use. I'd say, stay away from them as much as possible. Online users do engage using special characters when they search for website online and generally prefer typing alphanumeric symbols.
6. Solicit feedback. Ask for the opinions of domain name experts and possibly people from your target market before registering your desired website name. What may sound profitable for you may not even be appealing to your potential clients.